Meet The Expert: Dr. Effie Andrikopoulou
Dr. Effie Andrikopoulou is a Cardio-Oncologist and a cardiac Imaging expert caring for her patients in Birmingham, Alabama. She is passionate about providing excellent care driven by her core values of active listening, empathy, and respect.
- 02:05: I went from Greece to Baltimore.
- 03:59: Did you always want to be a doctor?
- 05:30: When I came to Baltimore, I also did research on surgery.
- 08:57: The clock starts ticking the minute the person comes to the hospital.
- 11:31: Tell us a little bit more about interacting with people who have cancer.
- 14:34: Every medication is helpful, but it comes with different types of side effects.
- 17:42: What has been your worst moment as a physician?
- 20:26: Did medical school prepare you to go through that experience knowing that some of your patients will die?
- 24:34: In the past couple of years, I’ve started digging deeper into psychology and leadership.
- 25:50: What has been the best moment?
- 27:43: I always tell my patients the minimum that their heart needs to stay healthy is 30 minutes of decent-paced walking, five days a week.
- 31:08: She survived her cancer, but she was left with heart failure as a result of that.
- 34:27: There should be a bare minimum level of self-care that we do that will allow us to be present for our patients and their families.
- 36:30: If you could only do one thing to improve health care in the U.S., what would it be and why?
- 43:22: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions.
- 47:22: Aside from Cancer U, what’s one resource you would recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?