Share Your Story: Karey Spransy
Karey Spransy is a stage IV-4 colon cancer survivor who uses her experience to teach others how to be more resilient through the Joy Of Moving On. She uses grace and humor to make you laugh, cry, and cry-laugh about the absurdities of life and feel inspired to find your JOMO.
- 02:20: We met in the totally again romcom way at a sales conference in the US.
- 04:10: Yoga was just part of my routine, at least three or four days a week.
- 06:19: I’m in so much pain, I can hardly stand up straight.
- 08:32: They’ve got to make sure that my colostomy is working properly.
- 10:05: My mother had already beaten breast cancer.
- 12:14: Colon cancer was not even on my radar at all.
- 14:03: I was incredibly sensitive to cold, even room temperature water felt like I was drinking glass.
- 15:57: So instead of there being a green stem, that’s the exit for your body.
- 18:26: That thing on your left ovary has grown.
- 20:04: I went on the family medical leave act at that point.
- 22:06: I told my friends and family how much they loved me.
- 24:30: I ended up getting a full hysterectomy.
- 26:26: With a colostomy, you can pretty much eat like you normally do because it’s way down in your colon, and it comes out like normal solid stool.
- 28:13: I still get bad bouts of diarrhea that will keep me home for two or three days at a time.
- 29:12: What was your worst moment?
- 32:31: What was your best moment?
- 34:08: What is one thing you wish you had known at the beginning of your cancer journey?
- 36:10: What is one thing that you would do to improve health care in the US?
- 38:59: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions
- 40:20: Aside from Cancer U, what is one resource that you would recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?