Share Your Story: Dorothy O’Dell
On September 14, 2021, Dorothy O’Dell’s father died from metastatic lung cancer. He was given two years to live, beat it the first time, and lived another year. Dorothy shares his story because it is one of love, hope, and strength.
- 01:46: When was your father diagnosed?
- 04:15: I had a dream the night before that I was dying of cancer.
- 06:05: She was scared, but she never missed an appointment.
- 08:06: Did they tell you what stage it was with surgery?
- 09:53: My dad is the only guy in the world that listens to me.
- 12:51: I didn’t hear that conversation until after my dad died.
- 15:53: Was the pain gone?
- 19:31: He died at 69.
- 22:27: I needed to spend what little time I had with my dad.
- 25:37: This time he was deteriorating so rapidly.
- 28:07: He had slipped into a coma.
- 30:40: I’ve said my goodbyes five times.
- 34:17: If you could hold onto one memory of you and your dad, what would it be and why?
- 36:36: How is your mom doing?
- 39:55: Is there anything you wish you had known at the very beginning when your father was first diagnosed?
- 40:43: If you could only do one thing to improve health care where you live in Canada, what would it be and why?
- 42:23: Thriver Rapid Fire Questions.
- 43:35: Aside from Cancer U, what resource would you recommend for cancer patients and caregivers?