#64, Decoding & Navigating the Proteome with Serafim Batzoglou, Chief Data Officer of Seer
Dr. Serafim Batzoglou, Chief Data Officer at Seer joins Dr. Amrita Sarkar, Principal Healthcare and Life Sciences Startups Business Development Manager at AWS Startups to talk about Seer’s pioneering work to decode the secrets of the proteome to improve human health. if the genome were a basic map of a city, then the proteome would be Street View, capturing every detail down to the graffiti and the potholes. Seer is pioneering new ways to decode the secrets of the proteome, leveraging engineered nanoparticles to provide unbiased, deep, and large-scale access to this incredibly detailed landscape.
Here’s what we cover:
- The Proteome Puzzle [02:16]: Dr. Amrita Sarkar and Serafim Batzoglou dive into the complexities of the proteome and how it offers a more dynamic view of human biology than the genome. They discuss why proteomics has lagged behind genomics in terms of tools to characterize structure & function.
- Serafim’s Journey [06:47]: Learn about Serafim Batzoglou’s academic background and his transition from academia to industry, with his experience in computational biology and genomics setting the stage for his current role at Seer.
- Seer’s Innovation [13:55]: Seer’s nanoparticle technology is revolutionizing proteomics by enabling deep, scalable analysis of accessible proteomes like plasma.
- AI Meets Biology [17:04]: We explore the convergence of cloud computing, AI, and biology, focusing on how Large Language Models have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of complex biological systems. Here is the article Amrita mentions which Serafiim authored on this topic.
- Scaling Challenges [22:44]: Scaling Seer’s technology presents scientific and business challenges. We highlight the cultural divide between genomics and proteomics and the need for tools which span these worlds more effectively.
- Team Dynamics [26:05]: Building a successful TechBio startup requires a diverse multi-disciplinary team. Serafim shares best practices on creating high-performing TechBio teams.
- Advice for Founders [29:23]: Serafim shares insights for aspiring life sciences entrepreneurs, emphasizing the long-term nature of biotech and the importance of building a business model that consistently funds data acquisition.
Get in touch with AWS here to learn how we can help your organization accelerate healthcare innovation.
Please take a moment and let us know what you think of the podcast, access our feedback survey here.