48: Hemorrhagic Stroke with Guest Nurse Alice
We are so excited to be joined by Nurse Alice Benjamin, cardiac clinical nurse specialist, family nurse practitioner, Chief Nursing Officer of Nurse.org, host of the Ask Nurse Alice podcast, and media health expert known as “America’s favorite nurse.”
Highlighting the power of nurses’ intuition, Nurse Alice shares an interesting story of a patient found unresponsive and how her initial assessments led her to call a CODE STROKE. In discussing this case, we cover the difference between ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, what a brain bleed looks like on a CT, and the importance of advocating for our patients.
During her 23 years as a nurse and community educator, Nurse Alice has picked up a lot of knowledge that helped her treat this patient quickly and notice less common signs of stroke that other medical professionals missed.
Tune in to hear how Nurse Alice cared for this patient, and take note of her best nursing advice!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Nurse Alice’s nursing education and professional journey
- Her journey to become a media health expert
- How Nurse Alice’s 80-year-old patient presented in the ER
- Assessment and diagnosis for hemorrhagic stroke
- What you’ll see for an ischemic versus hemorrhagic stroke
- How the Monro-Kellie doctrine informs intervention methods
- Ways to decrease ICP (increased cranial pressure)
- Why you need to pay attention to trends and Cushing’s triad
- Nurse Alice’s tips for treating brain bleeds
- Her best nursing advice
Learn more about Nurse Alice on her website: https://asknursealice.com/
Check out her podcast, Ask Nurse Alice: https://nurse.org/articles/ask-nurse-alice-podcast/
Connect with Nurse Alice:
If you would like to check out Sarah’s 1hr, 1 CE course, go to: http://www.rapidresponseandrescue.com
To get the FREE Rapid Response RN Assessment Guide and the coupon code for $10 off the cost of the course, message Sarah on Instagram @TheRapidResponseRN and type the word PODCAST!
This episode was produced by Podcast Boutique http://www.podcastboutique.com
Mentioned in this episode:
If you are planning to sit for your CCRN and would like to take the Critical Care Academy CCRN prep course you can visit https://www.ccrnacademy.com and use coupon code RAPID10 to get 10% off the cost of the course!