Optimizing Patient Education with Tim Fitzpatrick
This episode’s Community Champion Sponsor is Catalyst. To virtually tour Catalyst and claim your space on campus, or host an upcoming event: CLICK HERE
With the motivation that no other patient should go through the same struggles he did, our next guest has made it his mission to improve patient education and empower them to make confident and better informed decisions in kidney care and beyond.
Tim Fitzpatrick, CEO of IKONA Health, joins us to discuss how his company aims to provide quality value-based kidney care through storytelling, technology, and learning science while simultaneously tackling health literacy barriers that have plagued our communities for far too long.
Join us to learn how we can provide better education and support for patients as we continue to work together to move the health of our nation forward. Let’s go!
- Tim’s patient experience while serving the US Navy
- The concept of using VR technology for patients that sparked the creation of IKONA Health
- How IKONA Health evolved to become a learning platform focused on kidney health
- Plans for the future of IKONA Health and kidney care
- How can we as a community contribute to Tim and IKONA Health’s mission
About our Guest:
Tim Fitzpatrick is the co-founder and CEO of IKONA Health, a company that combines learning science, immersive technologies, and storytelling to improve patient education in healthcare. His interest in the field resulted from his own experience as a patient while serving in the US Navy. After eighteen months filled with several back surgeries and hundreds of painful wound care treatments, Tim became deeply aware of the roles uncertainty and health literacy play in a patient’s health outcomes. Following his recovery, Tim spent two years as an institutional equities trader for a bank in New York, where he covered the technology and media sectors. It was in this role that he began to see the potential of emerging technologies like AI, machine learning, virtual and augmented reality in shaping the future of information delivery, particularly in healthcare settings. Building on his co-founders’ research on clinical applications of virtual reality, Tim launched IKONA Health in 2017 to help tackle the uncertainties he once faced for others across the globe, and currently serves as Principal Investigator on two of IKONA’s federally funded research grants to examine the feasibility and effectiveness of immersive technologies in kidney education.
Links Supporting This Episode:
- IKONA Health website: CLICK HERE
- Tim Fitzpatrick LinkedIn page: CLICK HERE
- Tim Fitzpatrick Twitter page: CLICK HERE
- Clubhouse handle: @mikebiselli
- Mike Biselli LinkedIn page: CLICK HERE
- Mike Biselli Twitter page: CLICK HERE
- Visit our website: CLICK HERE
- Subscribe to newsletter: CLICK HERE
- Guest nomination form: CLICK HERE