The Male Midwife with Liam Jackson
Like many other professions, midwifery has a history of being predominantly female. But there are a growing number of men who are choosing to become midwives. So what is it that attracts men to this career? And what are the challenges they face?
In this week’s episode of High-Performance Nursing, I have an engaging conversation with Liam Jackson. Liam is a pediatric complex care specialist with a master’s in pediatric nursing and mental health.
We take a look at the growing trend of male midwives and explore some of the reasons why they choose this career. He also speaks about the hard part of the job plus the numerous rewards of this career.
This is an episode that will resonate with anyone who’s ever been interested in midwifery or anyone who’s considering a career in this rewarding field. Let’s dive in!
WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- Liam’s nursing journey (03:20)
- How Liam ends up becoming a midwife (07:46)
- Handling rejections when applying for a job (10:37)
- Preparing to get the job you want (15:49)
- Being a male midwife (21:16)
- Is experience necessary to do something you never tried before? (29:19)
- Does gender matter in midwifery? (30:53)
- The increase of male healthcare providers (35:40)
- Liam’s advice to male healthcare providers (40:03)
- Rapid-fire questions with Liam (43:03)
CONNECT WITH LIAM JACKSON
Connect with Liam on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Visit his website here.
CONNECT WITH LIAM CASWELL COACHING
Follow @highperformancenursing on Instagram for the latest career and leadership coaching from Liam.
Click here to Join my private Facebook Community “High-Performance Nursing – How to build your healthcare career” where I share all the career tips and strategies to thrive within your career. All new joins receive my Career freebies that have helped hundreds of nurses succeed in their careers! (You must answer all questions to be admitted).
Subscribe and listen to the High Performance Nursing Podcast available on all major podcast platforms! I would love if you could leave a review!