Courage, Resilience, Vision
Meet Sandra Fenwick:
Sandra Fenwick is the former CEO of the Boston Children’s Hospital. She serves on the Board of Director for the Children’s Hospital Association and chairs its Public Policy Committee. She serves on the Board of Directors of CRICO, Livongo Health, Harvard’s Wyss Institute for Biologically-inspired Engineering, Jobs for Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Digital Health Council, and Boston Children’s Hospital. Sandra received a bachelor’s from Simmons College and a Master’s in Public Health from the University of Texas.
By no means is retirement the end for Sandra Fenwick. She is still a mentor, advisor, and leader in healthcare
- Top Leadership Lessons. Sandra highlights on two core leadership principles. First is courage and resilience. It’s important for leaders to have the courage to take risks and challenge the status quo. Second is vision. Leaders need a vision for change, as well as the skills to inspire individuals and organizations to achieve it.
- Almost Perfect Transition. Sandra told her board that she wanted to retire three years in advance. This allowed time for her to hire and train her eventual replacement. In 2020 Sandra stayed on a little longer than initially planned, to see the hospital through COVID-19.
- In Retirement. Sandra continues to mentor young leaders and has reconnected with former professional colleagues. She also serves on multiple boards of directors and utilizes her past experiences to help them achieve their mission.
This episode is hosted by Gary Bisbee Ph.D. He is the Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Think Medium.
- Check out Her Story’s previous interview with Sandra
- Read “A CEO with a singular focus: Better health for children everywhere”