Anna’s Story: 3 Doulas, 3 Mothers & All the Ancestors
Who: Anna Malaika Tubbs, author of The Three Mothers, First Partner of Stockton, CA
Michael Tubbs, Former Mayor of Stockton, CA
Mika Cade, Doula
Anna who has lived in four countries, is a PhD candidate at Cambridge University and served as First Partner for the city of Stockton, CA. but when it came to pregnancy and childbirth, Anna went looking for a community of support. How do three doulas, three mothers and all the ancestors come into play? In this episode you’ll hear Anna’s powerful birth story and how she tapped into power she didn’t know she had to deliver her son Malakai. Not only was giving birth her entré into motherhood but it was also a pivotal turning point in Anna’s scholarship and the inspiration for her first book, The Three Mothers. Turns out, we can learn a lot about having a positive birth experience from three doulas, the three mothers and learning from our ancestors. Listen to learn! And then check out the video of Kimberly’s full interview with Anna about her new book where they discuss the dehumanization of Black mothers, and why positivity is such a powerful force in narrative change.
- Learn more about Anna Malaika Tubbs’ work https://annamalaikatubbs.com
- Purchase The Three Mothers book here: https://static.macmillan.com/static/fib/three-mothers/
- Follow Anna Malaika Tubbs @annastea_honesty, Mika Cade @doulamika & Michael Tubbs @michaeldtubbs
- Resources for finding Black Doulas: National Black Doulas Association & The Bridge
- Follow and learn: @ancientsong @mamaglow #BlackDoulas
- Learn more about having a safe and empowered birth by downloading the free ebook: Birth with Irth: A Mini-Manual to Pregnancy and Childbirth for Black People
- Get full episode details and transcripts (posted by midday) on www.BirthrightPodcast.com
- New episodes are released every other Wednesday! Subscribe now!
- Follow Kimberly Seals Allers on Twitter on Instagram: @iamKSealsAllers
- Birthright is funded by the California Health Care Foundation.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.