The 6 Key Steps for Improving Cybersecurity According to the HCIC: Which One Do you Need?
June 24, 2022: Today we are sharing the Health Care Industry Cybersecurity (HCIC) Task Force’s report on cybersecurity: Report on Improving Cybersecurity in the Health Care Industry.
They identified the following 6 key imperatives:
- Define and streamline leadership, governance, and expectations for healthcare industry cybersecurity
- Increase the security and resilience of medical devices and health IT
- Develop the healthcare workforce capacity necessary to prioritize and ensure cybersecurity awareness and technical capabilities
- Increase healthcare industry readiness through improved cybersecurity awareness and education
- Identify mechanisms to protect research and development efforts and intellectual property from attacks or exposure
- Improve information sharing of industry threats, risks and mitigation
Three Task Force members graciously sat down with us to explain and engage in a conversation about the key imperatives: Bradford Marsh, EVP Government Health Security & Technology at First Health Advisory, Theresa Meadows, CIO at Cook Children’s and David Ting, Chief Technology Officer / Founder of Tausight.
- What is the current state of the healthcare cyber landscape?
- In healthcare we know that we don’t have a good way to share information
- We have issues with legacy technology
- The attack surface has gotten a lot larger
- What are some action plans that someone could take, post report, to begin to implement changes?
- Report on Improving Cybersecurity in the Health Care Industry
- Healthcare and Public Health Sector Coordinating Council (HSCC) Cybersecurity Working Group (CWG)