317 – From Sustainability to Prosthesis List Reforms: What You Need to Know About the Medtech Industry in Australia. MTAA MedTech22 Feature Episode
This episode of the Talking HealthTech podcast was recorded at the MTAA MedTech 22 Annual Conference, an industry event for medtech professionals in Australia. During the episode, host Peter Birch has short conversations with various speakers at the conference, covering a range of topics related to the medtech industry in Australia.
Some of the key topics covered in the episode include:
- Engaging with the government: Matthew Versi discusses the importance of the medtech industry engaging with the government in order to drive policy and drive change. He emphasizes the importance of transparency and building trust with the government.
- Environmental, social, and governance (ESG): Dr Mike Freelander talks about the growing importance of ESG in the medtech industry. He notes that consumers and investors are increasingly interested in the environmental and social impacts of companies, and that medtech companies need to be aware of these issues and be proactive in addressing them.
- Sustainability requirements: Elizabeth Pettit discusses the coming wave of sustainability requirements in the medtech industry. She notes that these requirements are driven by a range of factors, including regulatory requirements, consumer demand, and investor expectations.
- Prosthesis list reforms: Penny Parrish talks about the reforms currently underway to the prostheses list in Australia. She explains that the purpose of these reforms is to improve access to prostheses for patients, and to make the process of getting a prosthesis more efficient and transparent.
- Talent opportunity in the post-COVID world: Lisa Dubé discusses the opportunity for the medtech industry to attract and retain top talent in the post-COVID world. She notes that the industry has been heavily impacted by COVID-19, but that there are still many opportunities for growth and innovation.
Other topics covered in the episode include local research and innovation, private health insurance, real-world evidence in medical device submissions, and patient stories. If you’re interested in learning more about the medtech industry in Australia, this episode is a great resource. Be sure to check out the MTAA website and mark your calendar for MedTech23, which will be held at the Sydney International Convention Centre on Monday, 30 October 2023.
Loving the show? Leave us a review, and share it with someone who might get some value from it.
Keen to take your healthtech to the next level? Become a THT+ Member for access to our online community forum, quarterly summits and more exclusive content. For more information visit here.