63: The Science and Heart of Organ Donation: An Exclusive Interview With Sean, and Organ Procurement Nurse
One facet of nursing that we don’t learn much about in nursing school is organ donation. It’s such a rewarding experience to help give a person back their life, as you’ll hear from our host and today’s guest.
In this episode, Sarah is speaking with Nurse Sean, organ procurement nurse and host of the “Nurse Dose Podcast.” He goes over the process of organ donation from start to finish, including procuring organs from a patient who is brain dead and also from donors after cardiac death (DCD). Together they discuss the procedures that optimize organs for procurement and transplant, and how they’re allocated.
Nurse Sean has a ton of knowledge about this not so well known aspect of Nursing. By the end of this interview you’ll know how long organs can be preserved after procurement, the best way to approach a family about organ donation, and MORE. Plus, he’s debunking myths about what makes a good candidate for organ donation, and what misconceptions families may need to be educated on.
Tune in to find out what the role of an organ procurement nurse really is, and hear Nurse Sean’s top tips for patient advocacy and approaching families!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What led Nurse Sean into nursing and the transplant ICU
- The process of getting a person ready for organ donation
- How organs are allocated and teams coordinated
- What causes the “dry run”
- Procurement of organs in brain dead patients vs DCD patients
- The important role of nurses in organ donation
- Memorable experiences with organ donation from Sean and Sara
- What nurses should know about organ donation
- Educating families on the organ donation experience
- How to (not) bring up organ donation to your patient/their family
- What honor walks mean to patients, families and staff
- How to be a patient advocate for organ donation
Connect with Nurse Sean at www.nursedose.org!
Listen to Sean’s podcast, “Nurse Dose Podcast”, on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/4M47ev6YzUfXrpuPvSzZQn?si=77327f23e05d4ff9
Check out his Etsy for device cheat sheets and ICU resources: www.etsy.com/shop/nursedosepodcast
Mentioned in this episode:
Rapid Response and Rescue Intro Course
If you would like to check out Sarah’s 1hr, 1 CE course, go to: http://www.rapidresponseandrescue.com
To get the FREE Rapid Response RN Assessment Guide and the coupon code for $10 off the cost of the course, message Sarah on Instagram @TheRapidResponseRN and type the word PODCAST!