The Journey To Becoming A Midwife With Julie Blackburn
What does it take to become a midwife? A lot of hard work, dedication, and some natural talent. From the moment you start your training, you are on a journey that will test your resolve, time and time again.
There are many hours of studying and hands-on experience that is required before one can even be considered for the profession. But it is a journey well worth taking, as the job comes with a different sense of satisfaction.
In this week’s episode of High-Performance Nursing, I had an interesting conversation with Julie Blackburn, who brings a combined 30 years of expertise in these fields to her training sessions. Her main areas of interest include education, women’s issues, fathers’ involvement in pregnancy and delivery, family health, and preventing domestic abuse.
According to Julie, being a midwife student is a lot like always trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and figuring out what is going on with the patient. The skills required for the job are vast and diverse.
Becoming a midwife is not an easy task. It takes years of hard work and dedication to master the skills required for the job. But for those who are up for the challenge, the reward is great. The satisfaction that comes with helping to bring a new life into the world is truly unmatched.
WHAT YOU’LL DISCOVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- All about Julie Blackburn (2:11)
- Julie’s career then and now (3:18)
- What it takes to travel and work at the same time (5:45)
- Having different roles (10:16)
- What Julie loves about being a midwife (15:15)
- Julie’s advice to people who want to explore midwifery (20:13)
- A day in a life of a clinical facilitator (23:50)
- What causes students’ stress (27:03)
- Navigating students having a hard time on placement (29:55)
- Should students highly focus on their GPA to land their job? (37:37)
- Julie’s current career (41:25)
- Julie’s most precious career moment (47:50)
- Best advice to nurses and midwives (48:25)
- Lesson and advice to students (48:48)
CONNECT WITH JULIE BLACKBURN
Connect with Julie on LinkedIn.
Check out Julie’s website.
CONNECT WITH LIAM CASWELL
Connect with me on Instagram
PS. I have launched my signature “8 week Clinical Career Accelerator Program” to help clinicians (just like you) achieve their career goals, with confidence, clarity and mentorship from me! If this sounds like something you are interested in – reply with the word “Accelerate” for more info!
P.P.S Whenever you are ready… here are 3 ways I can help you build your healthcare career.
1) Click here to Join my private Facebook Community “High-Performance Nursing – How to build your healthcare career” where I share all the career tips, strategies, and planing you need to thrive. PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS TO GET ACCESS
2) Subscribe and listen to the High Performance Nursing Podcast available on all major podcast platforms! I would love if you could leave a review!
3) Check out my Instagram@highperformancenursing and join your HPN peers!