Creating Space for Diversity
Meet Susan Turney:
Susan Turney, M.D. is the CEO of Marshfield Clinic Health System. Previously, she was President and CEO of the Medical Group Management Association. She was also CEO and Executive VP of the Wisconsin Medical Society. She is a Fellow in the American College of Medical Practice Executives (FACMPE) and for 22 years, Dr. Turney was an internal medicine physician at Marshfield Clinic. Dr. Turney received her bachelor’s from Northland College and her M.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Susan Turney, M.D. is Marshfield Clinic Health System’s first woman CEO, and is opening the door for the next generation of women leaders in healthcare.
- Prioritizing Diversity. Organizations need to prioritize having diversity. If it’s not a priority, it won’t happen. Healthcare faces unique challenges that can only be addressed if there’s a diverse workforce.
- How to Mentor. Mentors identify potential talent and help them find opportunities. However, mentorship doesn’t stop there. Mentors also need to observe the mentee and have follow up conversations. The process should be iterative.
- Finding Balance. Finding balance between being a parent and being doctor is challenging. One thing that helped Dr. Turney in her career was to not make promises she couldn’t keep; and if she made a promise, she delivered.
This episode is hosted by Ceci Connolly. She is a member of the Advisory Council for Her Story and President and CEO of the Alliance of Community Health Plans.
- Read more about Dr. Turney
- Follow Dr. Turney on Twitter
- Read “MCHS names Susan L. Turney as first CEO”