Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POI) and Menopause | Dr. Mandy Leonhardt
Primary ovarian insufficiency, or POI, is the early loss of normal ovarian function in women before the average menopausal age of 45. In this episode, Fempower Health interviews Dr. Mandy Leonhardt, co-author of POI and Early Menopause. They discuss different causes of primary ovarian insufficiency, health effects of ovarian dysfunction, hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and other important topics for women affected by POI.
Dr. Mandy Leonhardt is a UK-based General Practitioner, certified nutritionist (MNU), and menopause specialist. Her focus is on women’s hormonal health, lifestyle medicine, and nutrition. Dr. Leonhardt is the co-author of the book, POI and Early Menopause.
Discussed in this episode:
- What is the difference between POI and early menopause?
- What causes primary ovarian insufficiency (POI)?
- Early-onset POI in adolescence vs. developing POI in adulthood
- Overall health aspects of healthy ovaries
- Types of POI treatment
- Stress factors that contribute to loss of period and ovarian dysfunction
- POI symptoms with and without birth control
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) as an option, not a requirement
- Menopause in women with minimal access to healthcare
“Women are not small men. We need to acknowledge that. As doctors, we need to be proactive with our female patients and ask the right questions.” – Dr. Mandy Leonhardt
Related to this episode:
- More episodes about Menopause
- POI and Early Menopause by Mandy Leonhardt and Hannah Short (book)
- Dr. Leonhardt’s Website: www.hormoneequilibrium.co.uk
- Dr. Leonhardt on Instagram
Spread the awareness and share this episode with someone you know!
Support and connect with our women’s health community:
- Subscribe to the Fempower Health Podcast for new episodes every Tuesday
- Visit us online at www.fempower-health.com
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter for the latest announcements, news, and research
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Email us for inquiries & outreach: [email protected]
**The information shared by Fempower Health is not medical advice but for informational purposes to enable you to have more effective conversations with your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before making health-related decisions. Additionally, the views expressed by the Fempower Health podcast guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.**
**Contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links**