Taking Care of You: The Women’s Health Book | Dr. Mary O’Connor & Dr. Kanwal Haq
In this episode, Fempower Health introduces the new women’s health book, Taking Care of You: The Empowered Women’s Guide to Better Health. Here, we interview co-authors Mary O’Connor and Kanwal L. Haq about the book. They also discuss important women’s health topics and research today.
Taking Care of You is a book for everyday women. It’s a simplified, comprehensive health guide written by women, for women. It explores health conditions that affect women differently than men, and offers practical resources for women of all ages, races, and walks of life.
More than 100 female physicians, women’s health experts, and specialists across the country collaborated on this publication so that women everywhere can become more empowered in their own health.
Taking Care of You comes out on October 4, 2022. You can buy a copy at most major retail stores.
Discussed in this episode:
- How women can leverage the book, Taking Care of You
- The current state of women’s healthcare and how it got this way
- Why have women been excluded from clinical research until recently?
- Advocating for shared decision-making in women’s medicine
- The fragmentation of the healthcare system and what to do about it
- Practical things women in under-served populations can do for their health
- Coming up with solutions in women’s health communities
- Google-searching symptoms, health anxiety, and preparing for doctors’ visits
- Acknowledging self diagnosis and patient fears
- Improving provider-to-patient communication
“This book includes what we’ve seen and experienced firsthand. When you get angry enough, you want to change things. This book is our way of putting something forward to help empower women and change the trajectory of women’s health.” – Kanwal L. Haq, M.S.
Related to this episode:
- Episode: Women’s Health After Roe v Wade Overturn
- Mary O’Connor TEDx Talk: Promoting Health – Your Secret Superpower
- More Resources from Taking Care of You
- Movement is Life Caucus
- Instagram: @womenshealthbook
- Facebook: @womenshealthbook
- Linked In: Taking Care of You
Spread the awareness and share this episode with someone you know!
Support and connect with our women’s health community:
- Subscribe to the Fempower Health Podcast for new episodes every Tuesday
- Visit us online at www.fempower-health.com
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter for the latest announcements, news, and research
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Email us for inquiries & outreach: [email protected]
**The information shared by Fempower Health is not medical advice but for informational purposes to enable you to have more effective conversations with your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before making health-related decisions. Additionally, the views expressed by the Fempower Health podcast guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.**
**Contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links**