When it Comes to Your Town: Highland Park Trauma Processing (with Rose Metivier LCPC)
We don’t typically expect large-scale public violence, like a mass shooting, to happen in our hometown. Those terrible things happen far away. We hear about them on the news and are shocked, disgusted, and heartbroken. But what the f*%k do you do when it happens to you, in your community? How are you supposed to feel? How are you supposed to heal?
In this special episode, marking one week since the appalling Highland Park parade shooting, Jeremy chronicles his and his family’s harrowing personal experience at the event.
We then consult with the wonderful Rose Metivier, LCPC, a licensed therapist at Midwest Counseling and Diagnostics LLC, who has years of experience in, among other things, trauma and grief counseling. She walks us through what others are feelings and what comes next after experiencing this trauma.
Let’s all listen, connect, grieve, and heal together.
AWESOME resources that Rose suggests: (you can also contact her at [email protected])
- A TON of resources for Highland Park Community specifically, and other resources here.
- Easy searches for therapists on TherapyDen.com, InclusiveTherapists.com, or PsychologyToday.com. Allows you to filter by preferences, location, specialty, and insurances accepted. People may want to search for specific trauma specialties or interventions mentioned here.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Illinois: Coping With Community Violence Support Groups (English & Spanish resources forthcoming)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Beyond Trauma Podcast: Podcast made by three trauma therapists in Springfield, MO that they designed specifically for people who have been through trauma.
PLEASE spend all your money at Bright Bowls in Highland Park. They sheltered Jeremy and family, as well as others, on the 4th and are just wonderful people.
Find us at:
Email: [email protected] (DON’T FORGET THE 1!)
Call the DOCLINE at 312-380-5005. Leave us a message, we will listen and maybe answer/play it on the show!
(Disclaimer: we will not answer specific medical questions or offer medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional with any and all personal health questions.)
@what_the_health_pod (IG, TikTok)
@JeremyAllandMD (IG, FB, Twitter)