055: How You May Be Hijacked By Your Nervous System with Michelle Powell
The pressure of everyday life can become unreasonable at times. The effect of this can have us operating from our fight or flight response.
In this episode, we’ll unpack the impact of the nervous system on our well-being with Michelle Powell.
Michelle is a world-renowned trauma and wellness expert, and a regular guest on The Happy Nurse Podcast. She shares her knowledge of how the nervous system influences thoughts, actions, and responses, and how It’s important for to create a strategy that can help regulate our inner self.
If we’re aware of the impacts of the nervous system, we learn how to navigate its activation and quickly return to homeostasis. Michelle reveals the methods she uses to manage stressful situations, how to recenter focus, and bring us back to a grounded space.
TOPICS WE DISCUSSED INCLUDE:
- Why we need to talk about the nervous system (03:46)
- Recognising our default fight or flight reactions (05:30)
- Regulating our inner voice (12:25)
- What can you do when your nervous system is activated (17:05)
- A good relationship with ourselves matters (18:25)
- Strategies that can help recenter and reground (21:00)
- The power of breath-work (26:35)
- Therapeutic zone of breathing (29:10)
- The significance of 5-5 and 468 breathing techniques (35:05)
CONNECT WITH MICHELLE POWELL
Connect with Michelle on Facebook and Instagram
Subscribe to Michelle’s YouTube channel here.
Grab a copy of Michelle’s book The Mastery of Wellness.
CONNECT WITH ELAINA MULLERY
Connect with me on Instagram and Facebook
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Subscribe to my Youtube channel
For more information got to: happynurse.com.au/podcast/