27: Affordability: The Challenge of the Decade, featuring Mark Miller, Ph.D., Marty Makary, M.D., Nancy-Ann DeParle, Seema Verma, Elder Granger, M.D., MG, USA, (RET.)
In Episode 27:
This mash up episode dives into affordability. We hear clips from five healthcare experts to discuss the importance of affordability, and potential solutions. We gain perspectives on Medicaid, Medicare, and Military health. There are many potential solutions to address affordability, the challenge is deciding which models work together in our complex healthcare system and aggressively pursuing them.
- Challenge of the decade. Mark Miller, Ph.D., VP Healthcare, Arnold Ventures, explains how affordability is impacting patients. (2:27)
- Practice variation, within boundaries. Marty Makary, M.D., MPH, Author, “The Price We Pay,” Surgical Oncologist and Professor, John Hopkins University of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health describes how “appropriateness measures” could decrease Medicare costs. (5:51)
- Medi-Cal. Nancy-Ann DeParle, Managing Partner and Co-founder, Consonance Capital Partners, and former Deputy Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama, references California’s Medicaid model. (7:32)
- Healthy Indiana. Seema Verma, Former CMS Administrator, describes Indiana’s unique Medicaid Expansion. (10:02)
- TRICARE for all. Elder Granger, M.D., MG, USA, Retired, Former Deputy Director, TRICARE, CEO, The 5Ps, discusses whether TRICARE’s model could work for the country, a model which promotes preventive healthcare. (12:00)