RNegade: How ‘burnout’ can be a catalyst to resilience, purpose, and discovering yourself
What would it look like for a newly graduated nurse to start their job on day 1 who had training on self-awareness/mindfulness? That is the essential question Bryanna (“Bri”) asks and is the basis of her consulting company. Join RNegade Podcasters Antra and Karen as they explore the importance of self-care for nurses, by nurses.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE: all active nurses serving in hospital, medical, and patient care giving organizations.
- Introductions/Get to know Brynanna
- The nursing journey
- Seeking fulfillment from work (external)
- How can I take care of myself in this system right now?
- Ratio of Giving vs. Receiving
- Putting it all into action
- Filling a need to help nurses
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. state the importance of self-care and nurture
2. identify three strategies focusing on self-care
3. apply strategies of self-care to oneself to improve both personal and professional life
Post-Lesson Activity options:
TO RECEIVE YOUR CE: Please submit your responses to the activities either by typing or recording an audio response using HIRETALK. Responses will be reviewed and if approved, you will be awarded your CE.
- Bryanna grew up in a family of nurses who taught her that nursing results in job security and making an impact. Yet, she burnt out within six months of her first job. Did family, friends, or society encourage you to enter nursing? Please share your story’s experience.
- “I created my entire life through the nursing role/lens to avoid showing up for myself.” Bryanna’s statement hit home for both Antra and Karen. Did it do so for you? Why or why not? Explain.
- What self-care strategy that Bryanna referenced resonates with you the most to try? How will you build it into your toolbox of self-care tools? Share your proposed steps. (Extra credit: after 1 week, come back and share your findings and results)!
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Bryanna (“Bry”) is an RN for 7 years, and a Board Certified Nurse Coach in private practice for 2 years. She spent the first 5 years of her career dodging burnout until she realized she had created her entire life around serving others. Knowing she couldn’t sustain this personally or professionally she recommitted to herself. She got to the root of her self-sacrifice, took action on realistic self-care, and created relationships that were of equal give and take. Now, this is the work she is honored to support other Nurses in through 1:1 individualized coaching and the Braving Wellness breathwork and meditation community.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST STATEMENT
The author/s whose name/s is/are listed immediately above report the following details of affiliation or involvement in an organization or entity with a financial or non-financial interest in the subject matter or materials discussed in this course: Braving Wellness breathwork and meditation community.
RNegade is accredited as a provider of continuing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. RNegade is also an accredited CE provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
TOTAL CONTACT HOURS:
1.1 (0.75 listen to podcast, 0.25 activity, 0.1 evaluation)
EXPIRATION DATE: July 10, 2025
-| This episode originally aired on October 11, 2022 on RNegade. Listen, follow and subscribe here.