Untangling the complex web of US drug pricing — with AJ Loiacono
Drug prices are a major topic of conversation these days as the Biden administration grapples with federal options for mitigating what many see as out of control costs for specialty drugs. To put some context to the news, HIMSSCast host and Healthcare Finance News Managing Editor Susan Morse welcome to the show AJ Loiacono, CEO of Capital Rx, to talk a bit about why drug pricing is the way it is and what can be done.
- Why are drug prices so poorly defined for doctors and patients?
- Capital Rx’s market-efficiency hypothesis
- How Capital Rx operates and negotiates lower prices
- Why rebates are a part of drug pricing
- What the government can and should do to affect drug pricing
- Drug pricing needs to be transparent and consistent
- Why US prices affect global pharma companies and vice versa
- Who benefits from drug pricing inflation?
- Could startups reduce drug prices the way Robinhood reduced investment costs?
More about this episode: