The GetHealth data breach and what it means for consumer health apps and devices
Last week, a database that was not password protected exposed more than 61 million records containing data from fitness trackers and wearables, including Apple HealthKit and Fitbit. On today's HIMSSCast a team of HIMSS Media editors — host Jonah Comstock, MobiHealthNews Managing Editor Laura Lovett, MobiHealthNews Senior Editor Emily Olsen, and Healthcare IT News Executive Editor Mike Miliard —talk about the developing story and try to put it in the context of digital health and health IT news trends.
- The GetHealth data breach: What happened?
- The FTC response — enforcement and clarification of breach notification rules
- Consumerized health plays catch-up with HIPAA
- How this news affects other trends like Apple health sharing
- Apple’s recent spyware breach
- Why your health data is valuable to bad actors
- Lessons learned from this data breach and questions going forward
- Affect on consumer trust and lessons for consumers
- What comes next?
More about this episode:
Fitbit, Apple fitness tracker data exposed on unprotected database