Ep. 10: Genetics Marketplace Ethics – Dr. David Koepsell (CEO Encrypgen)
In this episode, we talk about genomic data ownership and privacy ethics with David Koepsell, lawyer, author, and philosopher.
Check out the Encrypgen Market Demo – https://marketdemo.encrypgen.info/
• Introduction of David’s background
• Brief journey into blockchain
• Patenting genes and ownership of personal data
• Origins of Encrypgen – value proposition to upload individual genetic information securely on a research marketplace
• Multichain, used by Encypgen, is built specifically for permissioned blockchain and satisfies the requirements of GDPR
• Importance of Individual Metadata to make Genetic information valuable
• Search capability of the genetic data and metadata
• Value of genotyping and sequencing
• The cost of sequencing one human genome has gone down from over $100M in 2001 to under $1000 today.
• Challenging ICO Offering experience
• How will Encypgen generate revenue?
• Genomic Data Markeplace
• How will the value and price of a person’s genetic change over time?
• 23andme surveys and the collection of phenotypic data
• Research Impact of the study of Epigenetics
• Data Validation and accuracy
• We will need multiple generations of genetic data to bring us tons of new insights about humans and health.
• Genes are not your destiny
• Ethical considerations
• Breaking Bad and Philosophy – the book
• Community building and importance of community support
• David’s Upcoming event dates and locations- (https://www.healthfurther.com/ Nashvile, TN Aug 28-29), (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-exponential-healthcare-conference-tickets-47599097181 Newport, CA Oct 10)
GINA Act – https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/gina.cfm
News Corner – A subsidiary of Pornhub called Tube8 has entered into a partnership with Vice Industry Token. https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/08/17/pornhub-tube8-blockchain-cryptocurrency/