The Journey to Parenthood Series (Part 3): Bridging the Adoption Gap: A Company’s Quest for Simplification & Ethical Adoption | Erin Keaty-Quick
In the U.S., about 1 in 35 children are adopted. While adoption is a life-changing experience for everyone involved, it’s a highly challenging process. In this episode, we enter the adoption world and explore the challenges, misconceptions, and triumphs surrounding this deeply personal journey, as well as new technology that makes the process more ethical.
Erin Keaty-Quick, founder of the adoption networking app, PairTree, joins to discuss the reality of adoption today. We talk about current statistics, ethical adoption agencies, what open adoption means for families and children’s identity, the cost of private adoption, and the importance of expanding access to licensed adoption professionals across every state.
From ethical concerns to expensive adoption fees, there are barriers that must be overcome in the adoption industry. Erin Keaty-Quick is the founder and CEO of PairTree, an ethical adoption platform that connects expectant mothers with families seeking to adopt. Listen to this important conversation where we share personal stories and helpful resources for anyone considering adoption.
Discussed in this episode:
- The challenges of private adoption today
- Social, financial, and legal requirements for adoption
- Why it’s important to connect licensed, ethical adoption professionals with families and expecting moms
- Breaking taboos of open adoptions and understanding different levels of openness between birth and adopted families
- How the adoption process varies by state in the U.S.
- Ethical considerations in adoption such as preventing coercion of birth moms and overcoming limitations of LGBTQ adoption
- Financial assistance options for families wanting to adopt
- How the PairTree platform works for networking, education, and encouragement in the adoption process
“I have more respect for the birth families of our kids than anyone else on the planet because they signed up for grief for the rest of their lives. And they did it solely out of love for the children that I get to parent.” — Erin Keaty-Quick
Related to this episode:
- PairTree: www.pairtreefamily.com
- PairTree on LinkedIn
- Erin Keaty-Quick on LinkedIn
- Related: Tips to Ease Your Mind Around Infertility
- Related: Navigating Fertility Treatments & Costs | Barb Collura
- AAAA: https://adoptionart.org
- Carrot Fertility Benefits: www.get-carrot.com
- Kindbody Fertility Wellness: www.kindbody.com
- Maven Family Care: www.mavenclinic.com
- Related Books: www.bookshop.org/lists/trying-to-conceive-fertility
Spread the awareness and share this episode with someone you know!
Support and connect with our women’s health community:
- Subscribe to the Fempower Health Podcast for new episodes every Tuesday
- Visit us online at www.fempower-health.com
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter for the latest announcements, news, and research
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Email us for inquiries & outreach: [email protected]
**The information shared by Fempower Health is not medical advice but for informational purposes to enable you to have more effective conversations with your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before making health-related decisions. Additionally, the views expressed by the Fempower Health podcast guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.**
**Contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links**