Folashade’s Story: The power of the right doctor relationship, a special candle, and a viral video after delivering twins. de
Giving birth to twins during the pandemic can be stressful enough. And too many Black women feel like they do not have meaningful relationships with their OB/GYN. So when Folashade Butler, of the metro Washington D.C. area, found herself delivering her twins earlier than expected and in less than ideal circumstances, she found comfort and felt more confident mostly because of one thing–her relationship with her doctor. And it was her OB/GYN, who helped her birthing video go viral. Listen to find out why!
Episode Description: My guests today are Folashade A. Butler, a woman in tech, speaker and mom of four, her husband Brandon, and Dr. Lynne Lightfoote, MD FACOG, a physician with Foxhall OB/GYN, whose response to Folashade’s birth caught everyone’s attention. Before her viral post-delivery moment, Folashade shares what it was like receiving prenatal care of twins during the pandemic, how she responded to her water breaking just as she was about to enter a restaurant and why she ended up delivering in an operating room. You’ll also learn about the special candle that Folashade brings to every birth and why.
- Folashade A. Butler is a wife and mom to four beautiful kids, including 7-month old twins! She is a speaker, relationship coach, woman in tech, and owner of Love & Livelihood, a community and podcast dedicated to helping people effectively navigate the intersection of love, life, and everything in between. Listen to Folashade’s Podcast Love and Livelihood.
- Meet Dr. Lynne J. Lightfoote, a Board Certified OBGYN and Champion for Women’s Health. She completed her undergraduate studies from Wellesley College. She received her Medical Degree from the University of Virginia and completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Lightfoote is board certified by The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She’s currently a partner at Foxhall OB/GYN and Associates. Dr. Lightfoote’s practice encompasses the full spectrum of obstetrics and gynecology. Her goal is to provide personalized care from adolescence, fertility, pregnancy, menopause and beyond.
- If you’re looking to build a relationship with your Ob/GYN or need help finding a good one, check out these suggestions.
- Don’t forget to check out the Irth app, in your Google Play and Apple app stores, to search for Ob/GYN, hospital and pediatrician reviews from other Black and brown parents, as a tool to guide your provider selection process. Go to your community for referrals. Leave reviews to help others.
- Learn more about having a safe and empowered birth by downloading the free ebook: Birth with Irth: A Mini-Manual to Pregnancy and Childbirth for Black People
- Get full episode details and transcripts (posted by midday) on www.BirthrightPodcast.com
- New episodes are released every other Wednesday! Subscribe now!
- Follow Kimberly Seals Allers on<a…
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.