052: Retreat as the Gateway to Recovery From Moral Injury With Janie Hoogesteger
There is a second pandemic currently occurring. Burnout in our healthcare staff. Many of us are beyond burnout and we are having to shift our focus from prevention, to burnout recovery.
The environment that is pre disposing us to burnout and compassion fatigue is creating “moral injury.”
Moral Injury is leading to nurses feeling undervalued, trapped, exhausted, unappreciated and lost in a very broken system.
In this episode, I had the pleasure to chat with Janie Hoogesteger. She is a Registered Nurse with
over 20 years of nursing experience. She believes that for the longest time, nurses have been focusing their energies on their patients and neglecting self-care.
Janine shares a holistic approach to self-care, her non-negotiable when it comes to self-care and how she helps heal the healers through her retreats.
TRIGGER warning – Suicide is discussed in this episode.
TOPICS WE DISCUSSED INCLUDE:
- Why do nurses experience a moral injury? (03:25)
- The dangers of gaslighting nurses (05:52)
- The negative effects of being resilient (09:00)
- Janie’s non-negotiable in self-care (12:35)
- The benefits of sleep in productivity (21:08)
- Finding what works for you (24:32)
- Indulgent self-care (26:15)
- What inspires Janie to be the best version of herself? (31:27)
- Trigger Warning: Janie discusses her flatmate’s suicide & how it changed her (31:59)
- Janie’s motivation for creating retreats (37:00)
CONNECT WITH JANIE HOOGESTEGER
Register for the Reset Retreat here.