How to Win at Women’s Health | Dr. Marjorie R. Jenkins
Navigating the healthcare system as a woman can feel like a losing game. In this episode, women’s medicine and health policy expert Dr. Marjorie Jenkins talks about the state of women’s healthcare, and what we can do to advocate for a better future.
Dr. Marjorie R. Jenkins is the dean at the University of South Carolina’s School of Medicine Greenville and the chief academic officer for Prisma Health-Upstate. Previously, she was a professor of medicine and associate dean at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and founder as well as the chief scientific officer of the Laura W. Bush Institute for Women’s Health. She served the FDA from 2015 to 2019 as the director of medical and scientific initiatives for the Office of Women’s Health, where she provided scientific and health policy expertise.
Dr. Jenkins launched the annual U.S. Sex and Gender Education Summit. She was co-editor of a signature textbook, How Sex and Gender Impact Clinical Practice: An Evidence-Based Guide to Patient Care, published in 2020. She is co-author of “Why Women Aren’t Winning at Health”, published in May 2023 by WorldChangers Media.
Discussed in this episode:
- Why women aren’t currently winning at health
- What is sex and gender-specific healthcare?
- How can women get better healthcare?
- Standards for medical training regarding the female body
- Hot topics in women’s healthcare today
- Menopause and hormone therapy
- Positive and negative outlooks of using Artificial Intelligence in medicine
- How women can find the right healthcare provider
“The first thing I say to women patients is: Whatever you tell me, I’m going to believe you.” – Dr. Marjorie Jenkins
Related to this episode:
- Mentioned: Sex Matters in Healthcare | Dr. Alyson McGregor
- Mentioned: Decoding Metabolic Syndrome | Dr. Robert Lustig
- Learn more about OM
Recommended Books on Breaking Taboos in Women’s Health
- NAMS: www.menopause.org
- Dr. Jenkins on Instagram: @deanofthegreen
- Dr. Jenkins on Twitter: @deanofthegreen
Spread the awareness and share this episode with someone you know!
Support and connect with our women’s health community:
- Subscribe to the Fempower Health Podcast for new episodes every Tuesday
- Visit us online at www.fempower-health.com
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter for the latest announcements, news, and research
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Email us for inquiries & outreach: [email protected]
**The information shared by Fempower Health is not medical advice but for informational purposes to enable you to have more effective conversations with your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before making health-related decisions. Additionally, the views expressed by the Fempower Health podcast guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.**
**Contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links**