Caregiving for Aging Loved Ones: How it Impacts Women’s Health | Mim Senft
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the value of unpaid caregiving was estimated at $450 billion per year. Now, it’s even more costly, especially as loved ones continue to work regular jobs and provide care for their adult loved ones. But unpaid caregiving can have severe impacts on health — particularly women’s health — including emotional, physical, financial, and mental.
In this episode, corporate benefits design specialist and co-founder of Motivity Care, Mim Senft, explores the complex issues that come with adult caregiving. We discuss the impacts of caregiving on women in a society that expects us to nurture and help for free. Mim also shares different types of caregiver role strain, the latest U.S. caregiver statistics, and the importance of caregiver self care.
Discussed in this episode:
- Caregiving and its impact on productivity in the corporate world
- How caregiving impacts women
- How companies can successfully address the need for caregiving
- Advocating for yourself while trying to survive
- Why it’s so important to prioritize your health
- The value in knowing your limits when caring for others
- How women can prepare themselves for aging and care dependency
- Caregiver support and practices that help you take care of yourself
- What is Motivity Care and who needs it?
“As women, we cannot show up and be the leaders that the world needs us to be without protecting ourselves first. That’s just a reality.” – Mim Senft
Related to this episode:
- Motivity Care: www.motivitycare.com
- Global Women 4 Wellbeing: www.gw4w.org
- Caregiving Assessment: link here
- Connect With Mim Senft on LinkedIn
- Connect with Karina Muller on LinkedIn
- Organization Mentioned: Women’s Health Innovation Summit
- Organization Mentioned: FemTech Innovation Summit
- Book Mentioned: Quiet: The Power of Introverts → Books on Mental Health
- Quiz Mentioned: Strengths Finder
- Publication: Long-Term Effects of Caregiving on Women’s Health
- Article: Women, Caregiving, and COVID-19
- Article: Women, Employment, and Family Caregiving
- Publication: Caregiving Challenges and Implications for Women’s Health
- Publication: Gender Differences & Caregiving
- Related episodes on Women’s Mental Health
If you want to support this women’s health podcast, leave a review for Fempower Health on iTunes or Spotify.
Spread the awareness and share this episode with someone you know!
Support and connect with our women’s health community:
- Subscribe to the Fempower Health Podcast for new episodes every Tuesday
- Visit us online at www.fempower-health.com
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter for the latest announcements, news, and research
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Email us for inquiries & outreach: [email protected]
More about Mim Senft
Mim Senft GBA AAI CWWS is the Co-Founder and Co-Managing Director of Motivity Care. She has 20+ years of corporate leadership experience in project management, benefits design, health and wellbeing program strategy and implementation. She had oversight of strategy under the Optum umbrella for the Goldman Sachs Wellness Program and has worked with more than 70+ national and international clients. She is an advisory board member for the Women’s Business Collaborative (WBC) and a Chapter Co-Chair for the Orion Advisory Group. She is also a co-founder of Global Women 4 Wellbeing (GW4W).
**The information shared by Fempower Health is not medical advice but for informational purposes to enable you to have more effective conversations with your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before making health-related decisions. Additionally, the views expressed by the Fempower Health podcast guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.**
**Contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links**