S2: #013: Developing Market-Driven Models in Emerging Markets
So far on this podcast we’ve had guests from Germany, the Netherlands, all across the USA, the UK, Spain, France and more. There’s so much happening with digital health transformation all around the world, and today, we’re going to explore what’s happening somewhere new: Africa. We’re going to dive into the opportunities and challenges of developing market-driven models in emerging markets.
Today, my guest is KP Yelpaala. He is the CEO and Founder of Access Mobile, which is a digital health company committed to improving access to and quality of healthcare – with an added twist: they are deploying their technology in emerging markets across Africa.
KP is a first-generation American whose parents immigrated to the US from Ghana. He was born in Wisconsin, and has lived in all over the world in Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, and more. He has made his home in Denver, Colorado.
KP started out studying pre-medicine at university, and although he’s passionate about healthcare, he eventually developed the sense that he was really an entrepreneur at heart. He did a masters of public health at Yale, before going on to do some really fantastic work with organizations like the Clinton Foundation
KP has spent years working in the field with public health systems, and knows firsthand the challenges of delivering healthcare to rural and underserved communities.
Today, he’s going to share his experience in creating change, breaking down barriers, and delivering a much needed service to users in Africa. There’s a great video of the work being done by Access Mobile, so please do go to the website and check out the show notes at DigitalHealthToday.com/13 to watch that and to see all the show notes.
- The unacceptable situation of health resources in sub-saharan Africa
- The winding road that led to deploying mobile technology in Africa
- The opportunities and benefits for commercial organizations serving emerging markets
- The importance of investment in creating quality healthcare services
- The differences in mobile technology between emerging and developed markets
- How developing regions can leapfrog with better technology
- Key partnerships that are making an impact
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Access Mobile
- Microsoft’s 4Afrika program
- Facebook’s Free Basics program
- Catalyst Health Tech Innovation, Denver, Colorado
Video: Access Mobile Inc
Follow Access Mobile:
Follow KP on Twitter @kyelpaala
Follow Access Mobile on Twitter @accessmobileinc
Check out the website: accessmobileinc.com