Whitney’s Journey: From Planned Homebirth to Preemie Birth
On this episode of Birthright, Kimberly Seals Allers interviews Whitney Robinson, a design-loving product manager and mother of four. As with her other children, Whitney planned a home birth, but 25-weeks into her pregnancy she went into premature labor and, with her husband and support team, she was determined to turn the unthinkable into an unapologetically Black experience.
- Stark racial disparities exist in pre-term births. For example, in 2019, the rate of preterm birth among African-American women (14.4%) was about 50 percent higher than the rate of preterm birth among white or Hispanic women (9.3% and 10% respectively). Source: CDC: Reproductive Health
- Learn more about having a safe and empowered birth by downloading the free ebook: Birth with Irth: A Mini-Manual to Pregnancy and Childbirth for Black People
- Get full episode details and transcripts (posted by midday) on www.BirthrightPodcast.com
- New episodes are released every other Wednesday! Subscribe now!
- Follow Kimberly Seals Allers on Twitter on Instagram: @iamKSealsAllers
Birthright is funded by the California Health Care Foundation.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.