Episode 5: Where Introverts Excel in Healthcare Communication
November 6, 2019
- Drink of choice – Jade Citrus Tea (Starbucks)
- I was fired up for this podcast because I myself am introvert
- My analysis on why introverts were more classified as having a more difficult time with communication skills education
- Does it really make sense to evaluate communication skills using a checklist when introverts strive for connection and meaningful conversation?
- My recommendation: rather than assessing output of skills as they pertain to communication, assess for authenticity and connection
- Repeat this over and over – in real time and live – inside and outside of the classroom – and become empathetic, etc. rather than “learn” it.
- Pay attention to the patient’s engagement, rather than just the skill outputted by the student/professional
Event: Creating Empathic Connections
Read: Communication is Care: 9 Empowering Strategies to Guide Patient Healing
Facebook: Jennifer George – Best Obsessed
LinkedIN: Jennifer George