8. Covid Mental Health Outcomes & Social Determinants with Dr. Mir Ali
In this episode, Dr. Mir Ali, a Health Economist at the US Department of Health & Human Services, discusses his research brief, Mental Health Consequences of COVID-19: The Role of Social Determinants of Health. Dr. Ali shares insights on how we can better measure structural drivers of health inequities and provides examples of current government programs that are actively taking on the challenge.
Read Mental Health Consequences of COVID-19: The Role of Social Determinants of Health on the HHS website.
- HHS-HUD Partnership – Housing and Resources Service Center
- CMS – Roadmap for States to Address the Social Determinants of Health to Improve Outcomes
- CDC – Implemented several programs to address SDOH
- HRSA – Funding opportunities for providers to incorporate SDOH
Mir M Ali Bio: Dr. Mir M. Ali is a Health Economist at the US Department of Health & Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE). A specialist in behavioral health economics, Dr. Ali focuses his research on mental illness, substance abuse, and issues of behavioral health policies affecting children and adults. He has authored 100+ peer-reviewed journal articles and numerous government reports on behavioral healthcare systems and policies. More information on Dr.Ali’s research is here.
Music Credits: The intro and closing music was specially produced for this podcast by Madison Swann.