Watching Out for Loperamide Abuse
Guest: Tyler S. Oesterle, M.D., M.P.H. (@OesterleMD)
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
Opioid abuse remains a significant problem, and as law enforcement and regulatory agencies tighten access to prescription analgesics, individuals are seeking alternatives. It’s been discovered that when taken at very high doses, loperamide can produce similar effects to the opioid analgesics and the drug is inexpensive when compared to the price of both illicit and prescription opioids. As a result, loperamide abuse has become a significant problem. In this episode we discuss loperamide abuse with Tyler Oesterle, M.D., M.P.H., a psychiatrist at Mayo Clinic’s Rochester campus. We’ll review the typical central nervous system effects of high dose loperamide and the associated safety issues.
- Current status of the opioid crisis in the U.S.
- Effects of loperamide in both therapeutic and excessive doses
- Reasons behind taking high dose loperamide in excessive doses
- Safety issues associated with high dose loperamide
- Potential of high dose loperamide leading to drug dependence