Regenerative Medicine Edition Ep.2: Between Hype and Hope – What’s Really Possible?
To claim credit for this episode, visit: www.ce.mayo.edu/regmedonline
Guest: Dennis Wigle, M.D., Ph.D. (@DrWigle)
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
Regenerative Medicine has some amazing capabilities and in the near future, it’s likely to significantly change how we practice medicine. It faces some challenges in educating both the medical community as well as the general public regarding its current realistic capabilities. There are many unsubstantiated claims made by practitioners to the public regarding the benefits of regenerative medicine therapy. We’ll discuss how the true potential of regenerative medicine is conveyed to both clinicians and the public with Dr. Dennis Wigle, a thoracic surgeon and chair of the Division of General Thoracic Surgery at the Mayo Clinic. We’ll discuss some of the common misperceptions of regenerative medicine and how a consultation service can educate both the public and medical community regarding the benefits of regenerative medicine.
Specific topics discussed:
- How to provide education to the public and the medical community
- When and why the regenerative consultation service was formed
- How the regenerative medicine consultation service works
- Common misperceptions community regarding the realistic benefits of regenerative medicine
- For more information about Mayo Clinic’s Regenerative Medicine Consult Service, visit: https://www.mayo.edu/research/centers-programs/center-regenerative-medicine/patient-care/regenerative-medicine-consult-service
Additional educational opportunities from Mayo Clinic: