Immunizations: Let’s Get to the Point
This episode was recorded on October 23, 2020.
Guest: Robert M. Jacobson, M.D. (@RobertJMD)
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
It’s estimated that immunizations have saved more lives and prevented more disabilities than any other medical intervention. They’re also extremely cost effective and their benefits far outweigh the very small risks they carry. Yet there are individuals who choose to believe that immunizations are potentially harmful. Our guest for this podcast is Dr. Robert Jacobson, a Mayo Clinic pediatrician and expert in the field of immunizations. We cover topics including an update on the COVID-19 vaccine and when it will realistically be available on a large scale for the population. Other important issues discussed include which vaccines are important for children and adults and whether it’s safe to administer multiple vaccines at one time. Finally, many of the concern promoted by the anti-vaccine movement are discussed and dispelled.
Specific topics discussed:
- Variety of vaccines in development for COVID-19
- Novel techniques being use in the development of the COVID-19 vaccine
- Timing on the availability of the COVID-19 vaccine
- Important immunizations for children
- Important immunizations for adults
- Anti-vaccine concerns and myths surrounding vaccines
- Updates on the age recommendations for the HPV vaccine