COVID-19 Miniseries Episode 8: Azithromycin and Hydroxychloroquine
This episode was recorded on March 27, 2020.
To claim credit visit: https://ce.mayo.edu/covid19podcast
Guest: Christina G. Rivera, Pharm.D., R.Ph.; Ryan W. Stevens, Pharm.D. (@Stevens_AK)
Host: Raymund R. Razonable, M.D. (@RazonableMD)
Chloroquine emerged as an early COVID-19 treatment option in China and there has been increasing interest in the use of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. What data is available for the safety and efficacy of the drugs in the fight against SARS-CoV-2? Dr. Christina Rivera and Dr. Ryan Stevens provide a breakdown of recent research.
- Gautret P, Lagier JC, Parola P, et al. Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: preliminary results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. March 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949
- Yao X, Ye F, Zhang M, et al. In Vitro Antiviral Activity and Projection of Optimized Dosing Design of Hydroxychloroquine for the Treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Clinical Infectious Diseases. March 2020. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa237
- Guidance on patients at risk of drug-induced sudden cardiac death from off-label COVID-19 treatments https://mayocl.in/2WQhxzI
For the most up to date COVID-19 information:
- CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019