Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Guest: Lewis J. Wesselius, M.D.
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
The topic of COPD including risk factors, evaluation and management is discussed with Dr. Lewis Wesselius, a pulmonologist in the Division of Thoracic Disease at the Mayo Clinic. Specific topics discussed include the following:
- Review of the various types of COPD.
- Similarities and differences between emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- Financial complications of COPD.
- Risk factors for COPD.
- Appropriate tests to order when evaluating patients suspected of having COPD.
- Determining the severity of COPD.
- Management of patients with COPD including the role of bronchodilators, inhaled corticosteroids, antibiotics and oxygen.
- COPD and the risk of lung cancer.