The role of telehealth in gender-affirming care – with Dr. Jerrica Kirkley
The rise in telehealth utilization, especially amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, has highlighted the potential of virtual care to expand access to services.
These can be particularly important for those who may face hurdles to brick-and-mortar care. Dr. Jerrica Kirkley, co-founder and chief medical officer of Plume, joins Healthcare IT News Senior Editor Kat Jercich to discuss the potential of telemedicine for trans and gender-nonconforming people.
- The need for data to support gender-affirming care
- The dynamic, multifactorial process of providing services for LGBTQ people
- Patients are based across the country, including large metro areas
- Younger people are increasingly likely to identify as trans or gender-nonconforming
- Insurance coverage doesn't necessarily guarantee care
- What gender-affirming care entails
- The role of state licensing in telehealth expansion
- How communities are being centered in care
More about this episode: