S5: #049: Rafael Grossmann on Using AR/VR to Take Education to the Next Level
In this episode we talk about healthcare solutions using augmented reality and virtual reality. It wasn’t that long ago that holograms and immersive environments were only found in Hollywood science fiction, but the technology is now finding its way into everything from video games and movie theaters to operating rooms and in-patient wards.
As the cost of hardware and software drops and handset capabilities increase, many companies are developing creative solutions to address problems in healthcare. Products like Oculus Rift and Microsoft Hololens have set a high standard, and the industry just got a further push by Apple’s recently launched ARKit.
Here to tell us about it is Dr Rafael Grossmann, he is a general, trauma, advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgeon practicing in Maine, USA. Rafael has been working to advance the use of AR/VR/Mixed R technology and advises companies in this space. In addition to his full time role as a practicing surgeon, Rafael is also an alumnus of Singularity university and faculty of Exponential Medicine. He tells us about some of the great work being done to develop solutions using tools like ARKit and the Hololens platform.
- How Rafael’s career was transformed through exponential thinking
- How the first surgery was performed using Google Glass in 2013
- How AR Kit is creating new opportunities in patient education
- Two interesting companies and their solutions leveraging AR and VR
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Rafael Grossmann on Twitter
- Rafael Grossmann on LinkedIn
- Rafael Grossmann’s Website
- John Nosta of Nosta Labs
- Anima Res – specialist in 3D medical animations and interactive Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality and Virtual Reality applications with a particular focus on the pharmaceutical, medical and biotechnological sectors.
- Insight-Heart on the Web
- Download Insight-Heart on iTunes
- Download Insight-Heart for Microsoft Hololens
- Medivis – an augmented reality medical company with the mission to transform medical visualization through proprietary holographic rendering.
- Oculus Rift Website
- Check out Oculus Rift on Amazon*
- Apple’s ARKit Developer Resources
- Microsoft’s Hololens Developer Resources
- Digital Health Events
- Join Digital Health Today