Ep 1: What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
Alzheimer’s disease affects over 6 million Americans and counting, yet no two people with the disease are alike. Our understanding of Alzheimer’s has changed a lot over the years. In this first episode, we start with the basics: causes, risk factors, symptoms, how it affects the brain– and explain the relationship between Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
For even more resources, visit our website at HealthUnmuted.com
What did you think of this episode? We’d love to hear from you.
Please visit healthunmuted.com/feedback to let us know!
For information about Alzheimer’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Association
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Bright Focus, for more information about amyloid and tau
- MayoClinic, for more information about disease progression
Patient Support and Advocacy Groups
- Alzheimer’s Speaks
- Alz Authors
- Alzheimer’s Association Local Chapters (US)
- Alzheimer’s Society support groups (UK)
- Dementia Friendly America
- Dr Andrew Budson – Seven Steps to Managing Your Memory: What’s Normal, What’s Not and What to Do About It
- Dr Jason Karlawish – The Problem of Alzheimer’s: How Science, Culture, and Politics Turned a Rare Disease into a Crisis and What We Can Do About it
- Paul Hornback – God Still Remembers Me: Devotions for Facing Alzheimer’s Disease with Faith
- Paul Hornback – My Purple Brick Road: A Faithful Battle with Early-onset Alzheimer’s Disease
- Dr Daniel Gibbs – A Tattoo on my Brain: A Neurologist’s Personal Battle against Alzheimer’s Disease
- Dr Phillip Sloane – Alzheimer’s Medical Advisor: A Caregiver’s Guide to Common Medical and Behavioral Signs and Symptoms in Persons with Dementia
A transcript of this episode is available here.
This episode is made possible with support from Altoida.