Addressing bullying and incivility in nursing
One of the things that many people are surprised to learn about nursing is how strong the culture of bullying can be. It’s an issue that Dr. Nurse Dan feels passionately about addressing, and in this episode he goes deep with Dr. Renee Thompson on this issue and some of the root causes behind it.
Renee is the CEO and founder of The Healthy Workforce Institute, a training and consulting company dedicated to helping healthcare organizations create a healthy workforce by eradicating bullying and incivility.
In her conversation with Dan, Renee shares advice on the behaviors that nurse leaders should look out for among their staff as well as key confronting strategies. She explains why confronting is actually much easier than you might think. Renee also shares where she sees the most bad behavior happening and the role of self-care in creating a healthy workplace.
Links to recommended reading:
- A survey of the impact of disruptive behaviors and communication defects on patient safety.
- What Leaders and Employees Can Do To Eradicate Bullying in Healthcare
- Enough! Eradicate Bullying and Incivility in Healthcare: Strategies for Front Line
- “Do No Harm” Applies To Nurses Too!
- Share Conflict In Nursing: Types, Strategies, and Resolutions
The full transcript for this episode can be found here: https://www.trustedhealth.com/the-handoff-podcast/renee-thompson