Leading Up: How Physician Liaisons Can Lead Their Physicians w/ Dr. Jimmy Knott #157
No matter who you are or what you’re doing, you influence those around you in some capacity. It’s time we learn how to do it effectively. After working as an engineer for the DuPont Company in Nashville, Dr.Jimmy Knott felt led to go into the ministry. He enrolled at New Orleans Theological Seminary, and earned his M. Div., in 1976. He earned his Doctor of Ministry degree from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in May 2002. Dr. Knott’s passion is to assist people in maximizing their impact and help existing and aspiring leaders to better understand what transformational leadership is and does.
[00:01 – 06:20] You are Always Leading and Influencing Someone
- I introduce our guest Dr. Jimmy Knott
- My father in law and expert
- Learn a bit more about Dr. Knott
- Relationship with leadership
- Current activities and focuses
- Understanding leadership
- You may be a leader even if you don’t know
- Leadership isn’t always down
- It is also across and up
[06:21 – 20:18] Leading Up: How Physician Liaisons Can Lead Their Physicians
- How this concept of leading up can apply to liaisons
- The importance of leading yourself first
- Figure out how to add value
- Ask the right questions
- How to communicate with your superiors
- You need to provide honest feedback
- Say the things they don’t want to hear
- Building trust through regular communication
- Being prepared to face your boss
- You are on the front lines
- Confront reality
- Make great decisions through engagement
[20:19 – 29:44] Set Expectations with Quality Questions
- The importance of preparing questions
- There’s no way to learn without questions
- ‘What does success look like to you’
- How to navigate two different Physicians
- Credibility = influence
- Four questions/items to go through in a meeting
- 1. What is going well?
- 2. What is broken?
- 3. Getting clarity on something specific
- 4. What’s missing/needed?
- Regular meetings are critical to productivity
[29:45 – 35:54] Closing Segment
- Hitting the highlights of our conversation
- Lead up
- Build trust!
- Communicate frequently
- Anticipate the future and needs for your leader
- How to connect with Dr. Knott
- Links below
- Final thoughts
- Stay tuned for more. Links available below.
Subscribed Yet? Now you can!
Subscribe to the Patient Convert Podcast and never miss a new episode!