Caring for Patients with Dementia
Guest: Ericka E. Tung, M.D.
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
The topic of Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias was discussed along with the importance of providing care of the patient’s care-givers by Dr. Ericka Tung, a geriatrician in the Division of Community Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic. Specific topics discussed include:
- Common symptoms seen in early dementia.
- Mild cognitive impairment and its progression to dementia.
- Importance of stability of lifestyle in the life of patients with dementia.
- Discussing the diagnosis of dementia with the patient and family.
- Using a mental status exam in the evaluation of patients with suspected dementia.
- Establishing a diagnosis in patients with early dementia.
- The role of formal psychological testing in patients with suspected dementia.
- The needs of care-givers of dementia patients.
- Importance of respite care for the care-givers of dementia patients.
- Evaluating driving skills in patients with early dementia.
- Advanced care planning for dementia patients.