“Sick” Days & Diabetes: Primary Prevention and Management
ADCES resources for sick day management: DiabetesEducator.org/SickDay.
This episode was provided by Ascensia Diabetes Care, Makers of the CONTOUR®NEXT Brand of Blood Glucose Meters and Test Strips. To learn more about the accuracy of CONTOUR®NEXT Brand Meters and receive sample for your clients, visit CONTOURNEXTPRO.com.
- Butler, S.O., Btaiche, I.F. & Alaniz, C. (2005) Relationship between hyperglycemia and infection in critically ill patients. Pharmacotherapy. 25(7), 963-76. https://doi.org/10.1592/phco.2005.25.7.963
- Carey,l. et al. (2018) Risk of Infection in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Compared With the General Population: A Matched Cohort Study. Diabetes Care 2018 41(3): 513-521.
- Kim, E.J et. al. (2019) Diabetes and the Risk of Infection A National Cohort Study. Diabetes and Metabolism Journal, 804-814. DOI: https://10.4093/dmj.2019.0071
- Peleg A, et al. (2007). Common Infections in Diabetes: Pathogenesis, Management and Relationship to Glycaemic Control. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Review 2007;(23) 3–13
- Casqueiro, J. et al. Infections in patients with diabetes mellitus: A review of pathogenesis. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2012 (16 Suppl. 1):S27–S36
- Ketoacidosis (DKA). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed May 20, 2020.
- Brutsaert, E (2019). Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/diabetes-mellitus-and-disorders-of-carbohydrate-metabolism/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka. Accessed May 20, 2020.
- Tonyushkina, K. et al. (2009) Glucose Meters: A Review of Technical Challenges to Obtaining Accurate Results. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 3(4): 971–980.
- Maahs, D.M. et al. (2015) Effect of Acetaminophen on CGM Glucose in an Outpatient Setting. Diabetes Care 2015 (38) e158-e159. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc15-1096
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, March). Managing Sick Days. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/flu-sick-days.html.
- Noti J. D. et al. (2013). High Humidity Leads to Loss of Infectious Influenza Virus from Simulated Coughs, PLoS ONE 8(2): e57485. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057485,
- American Diabetes Association (2020, Jan). Introduction: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2020 Diabetes Care 2020 Jan; 43(Supplement 1): S1-S2. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-Sint Retrieved from (https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/43/Supplement_1)