Field Report: University Hospitals CIO Robert Eardley
April 6, 2020: Today we bring you another field report where we talk to health system leaders on the front lines, now especially as they have to navigate the COVID-19 crisis. This interview is with Robert Eardley, the CIO of University Hospitals in Cleveland. What emerges strongly from his conversation is that health IT is performing like never before and managing to come up with solutions in record time, which of course has raised the standard and is changing the expectations around what is possible in the future. Robert mentions, in particular, the smooth transition from office to home-based operations and how efficiently they have been able to do screening and set up their call centers. He talks about how they are preparing for the expected surge in COVID-19 patients, the requests they are getting from the health system, how they have been serving by providing telehealth and analytics solutions, and much more.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn about the University Hospitals health system and the community they serve.
- What they are doing to prepare for the surge of COVID-19 patients.
- The process of pre-building beds within IT applications.
- What the health system requires from health IT, including work-from-home solutions.
- How they have been serving the health system by addressing telehealth challenges.
- Hear about their analytics journey, how the requests have shifted, and the software they use.
- How the outstanding performance of health IT is changing what will be expected in the future.
- The aspects of their capabilities and organization that has most surprised Robert.
- More about how their call centers are set up and the communication platforms used.