Why HIEs Will Lead the Way on Healthcare Quality Measurement w/ John D’Amore
I’ve been saying it for years. The regional Health Information Exchange (HIE) should be your first stop for interop. That’s especially true when it comes to quality measurement. Patients are going to get care in many settings and their data is going to be stored in many EHRs. According to today’s guest, a sick Medicare patient may see 6-7 doctors in a given year! Proper quality measurement will require every hospital and every practice to proactively connect with one another AND solve the underlying data quality problems. FACT: It’ll never happen.
I know what you’re thinking. That’s why we need to have interoperability in healthcare, right!? Well, as Thomas Edison said, “opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Healthcare interoperability has already been solved, but it requires a lot of hard work and we don’t like that.
The good news is that there are strong HIEs operating across the country and they’re in the business of doing that hard work for you. On today’s episode, we talk with John D’Amore, President and Chief Strategy Officer at Diameter Health, about the role of HIEs in healthcare quality measurement. We discuss:
- Why HIEs are the right place to start when it comes to quality measurement
- Why it’s important to think about quality measurement and clinical-decision support as 2-sides of the same coin
- Why we’ll never have ubiquitous interop between all providers and all EHRs
- Why the ATM is a terrible analogy for healthcare interop
- Why data quality is such an important and misunderstood part of our interop and quality measure issues
- How the ONC and CMS NPRMs create opportunities and barriers for HIEs and quality measurement
- How health plans are utilizing HIE data to support HEDIS-measurement and other workflows.
- WHat NCQA is doing to support data aggregators and exchanges to enable the exchange of clinical data for measurement
- Why you might want to check out the NCQA & HL7 Digital Quality Summit in Boston July 16-18.
Check out Episode 23: Quality Measures: Past, Present and Future w/ John D’Amore for a more general discussion on healthcare quality measurement history and trends.
For full show notes and links, visit: https://TheHCBiz.com