The Medicaid Transformation Project with David Smith – Part 1
The Medicaid Transformation Project (MTP) is a national effort to transform healthcare and address related social needs for the most vulnerable. Throughout this two-year mission, health systems will implement innovative solutions that address challenges like behavioral health and substance use disorder. MTP aims to create long-term systemic impact over the next 10 years with the goal of improving the health of 75 million Americans.
On this episode, we talk with David Smith, who is the Project Executive for the Medicaid Transformation Project. David tells us how Avia, in partnership with healthcare leaders and Andy Slavitt, is on a mission to change the health and care of the Medicaid population by leveraging digital solutions and innovative care models to more effectively and efficiently meet its needs.
There’s a lot to get into here, including:
- Who is Avia and why are they a good candidate to tackle this problem?
- How did Andy Slavitt get involved?
- Why does Medicaid need to be transformed in the first place?
- Why do we need another Medicaid transformation effort on top of the DSRIP and other 1115 Medicaid Waivers in place across the country?
- How do you balance incrementalism with big structural and systemic changes to drive innovation today?
- What problems are you focusing on and how did you select them?
- What is MTP’s framework for sourcing and evaluating innovations?
- Is MTP focused more on clinical outcomes or business outcomes?
- How will you prove you’ve been successful?
We cover all that and more, and that’s just part 1! Check out this amazing conversation with an inspiring healthcare leader and then come back for part 2 next week!
For full show notes and links: https://thehcbiz.com/medicaid-transformation-project-part-1/