Take it to the Cloud: A Look at Hybrid Data Storage in Healthcare | Laz Vekiarides | ClearSky Data
The entire healthcare industry went digital in a very short time. We’ve barely got our arms around the mountains of data created every day in our transactional systems (i.e. EMR, Scheduling, RCM, etc.). Now the genomic, patient-generated and device-generated data is starting to flow. Take all that, mix it up with some HIPAA, a few parts ransomware, an uncompromising need for on demand data and reliability, the almost-dogmatic refusal to ever let go of a single piece of information, and the rapidly expanding need for new insights, and you’ll start to get a glimpse of the state of healthcare data today.
Enterprises must find a way to reap the benefits of all this “big data” without getting paralyzed in the complexities of managing it. Today’s guest believes that data storage is ripe for innovation and that a hybrid cloud approach may be the best path forward. A hybrid solution combines the speed, reliability and comfort of an on-premises infrastructure with the scalability and convenience of the cloud.
Lazarus Vekiarides is the co-founder and CTO of ClearSky Data. Laz gives us a run-down on the state of data storage in healthcare today and offers insights on where things are headed. We touch on topics including capacity utilization, the difference between hot and cold data, how little of your data is accessed on a regular basis and how you can use that knowledge to your advantage. We cover all that and much more, including:
- An introduction to ClearSky Data (5:15)
- What do you wish people would stop doing with their data? (10:00)
- What’s the alternative to making lots of copies of your data? (13:00)
- How do you identify and measure your most accessed and least accessed data? What can you do with that info? (15:30)
- What healthcare data use cases do you support? (18:13)
- How has the world of data storage changed in the last 10 years and what does a good data storage strategy look like today? (21:45)
- Are you starting to see organizations ditch on-prem and go all in on the cloud? (24:00)
- Have software engineering capabilities caught up with the new realities of the cloud? (26:15)
- Besides latency, what other issues should we consider when evaluating our cloud strategy? (29:00)
- Is the software-side ready to support the hybrid model of edge computing w/ public cloud backing? (33:30)
- What’s going to happen to all the legacy systems? Do they go away? Get migrated to the cloud? Something else? (36:00)
- Can you compare and contrast the perceived costs of on-prem vs. cloud with the actual costs? (38:15)
- Is backup and Disaster Recovery a good place for enterprises to start thinking about going hybrid? (43:50)
- Where can listeners learn more? (45:15)
This is a must listen for anyone responsible for IT infrastructure in Healthcare. I hope you enjoy it!
– Don Lee
Check it out on:
About Lazarus Vekiarides and ClearSky Data
Laz is the co-founder and CTO of ClearSky Data.
ClearSky Data’s global storage network simplifies the entire data lifecycle and delivers enterprise storage as a fully managed service. IT is now liberated from the treadmill of managing primary, backup and disaster recovery storage infrastructure, and empowered to access all data as if it were local, with on-demand scaling and agility. ClearSky delivers data where it’s needed, enterprise-ready and fully optimized to eliminate the cost and data center footprint of traditional storage solutions.
Learn more: https://www.clearskydata.com/
Checkout their weekly free webinars here: https://www.clearskydata.com/resources/webinars
Follow them on twitter:
If you like what we’re doing here, then please consider signing up for our weekly newsletter.
You’ll get one email from me each week detailing:
- New podcast episodes and blog posts.
- Content or ideas that I’ve found valuable in the past week.
- Insider info about the show like stats, upcoming episodes and future plans that I won’t put anywhere else.
Plain text and straight from the heart 🙂 No SPAM or fancy graphics and you can unsubscribe with a single click anytime.
Music by StudioEtar