COVID-19 Community Vulnerability Map w/ Dr. John Showalter
There is an urgency to utilize social determinants in healthcare decision making, especially to meet the needs of underserved populations. Jvion launched its new COVID-19 Community Vulnerability Map, a free, publicly available tool that identifies populations — down to the census block level — that are likely to experience severe outcomes requiring hospitalization when they contract the virus. The map integrates the findings of the data analysis project that Jvion conducted last week, which analyzed a representative sample of 2 million patients to understand the social and clinical risk drivers that make populations more vulnerable to viral infections like COVID-19. Joining Don and Shahid on this episode is Chief Product Officer, Dr. John Showalter to talk about the deployment and use cases of the COVID-19 Community Vulnerability Map.
- COVID community vulnerability map – learn how limited datasets can be used to understand which communities are at risk of having high mortality and high hospitalizations.
- Developed map on Azure and partnered with Microsoft to map the predictors.
- This map is telling us where we should pay close attention when deploying resources.
- The best maps for future planning and focusing on prevention.
Helping during the pandemic aligns with our values…our mission is to reduce preventable harm. We’re committed to evolve this initiative and bring forward the best insights that we can.
- About the surge prediction map
- About the community risk map
- Using socioeconomic status and behavioral health to understand clinical risk factors – AJMC article describing technique
- What is Dirty COVID-19 data?
- Trend analysis vs prescriptive planning
- Jvion is joining the COVID-19 Healthcare Coalition
- The mistakes of using advanced technologies: all data, no action.
A message from Shantanu Nigam, Jvion’s Founder
We are tremendously grateful for the thousands of healthcare workers on the frontlines of the battle against COVID. Their courage and rapid mobilization in the face of the greatest public health threat of our time has been incredibly inspiring. We are working around the clock to provide them with data-driven insights to help them protect the most vulnerable members of their communities.
Dr. John Showalter, Chief Product Officer
Dr. John Showalter, MD is the Chief Product Officer at Jvion and a board certified internal medicine physician specializing in clinical informatics. He is passionate about quality improvement and the application of AI to improve patient outcomes, and is dedicated to ensuring the Jvion Machine drives value and improves lives.
Jvion enables healthcare organizations to prevent avoidable patient harm and lower costs through its AI-enabled prescriptive analytics solution. An industry first, the Jvion Machine goes beyond simple predictive analytics and machine learning to identify patients on a trajectory to becoming high risk and for whom intervention will likely be successful. Jvion determines the interventions that will more effectively reduce risk and enable clinical action. And it accelerates time to value by leveraging established patient-level intelligence to drive engagement across hospitals, populations, and patients.
Links, Resources and Related Episodes
Dr. John Showalter and Jvion Contact: