Special Pride Month Episode: Revisiting Our Conversation With James Simmons
In honor of Pride Month, we’re re-releasing our interview with Dr. James Simmons, a nurse practitioner and thought leader who has appeared everywhere from Good Morning America to CBS and NBC to People magazine. He’s also amassed a large social following on Twitter and Instagram, where he answers health-related questions from the public at the handle @AsktheNP.
James is an outspoken advocate of both the Black and LGBTQ+ communities, and in his conversation with Dr. Nurse Dan, he talks candidly about the inequities that the pandemic has laid bare, and why “going back to normal” isn’t an option for these individuals.
In this episode, James speaks plainly about how the system has let down and left out these communities and what nurses and nurse leaders can do to make a difference moving forward.
Links to recommended reading:
- Meet James Simmons of Ask The NP in Greater LA
- Nurse Practitioner Documents Getting The COVID Vaccine – What To Expect
- Healthcare and Cultural Considerations for Patients
- How Nurses Can Help Dismantle Racial Healthcare Disparity
- The Handoff Episode 44: Making nursing more diverse
- The Handoff Episode 45: What the ANA is doing to combat racism in nursing
The full transcript for this episode can be found here: www.trustedhealth.com/the-handoff-podcast/james-simmons